There are a lot of little critters who would love to come and explore your self-storage unit – to nest, reproduce, nibble on memorabilia, and poop here, there and everywhere. Unfortunately, you aren’t as excited for their arrival, as they are to arrive. Their damaging effects are often devastating and you may not even realize what’s happening until it’s too late.
Pests like insects, rodents and spiders can do quite a lot of damage to the items in your unit. Unfortunately, although you can easily keep pests out of your home, it may be pretty hard to keep pest out of your self-storage unit. However, you don’t have to give up – there are a number of things that you can do to ensure that you keep your possessions safe from pest damage.
Read and follow these important tips that can help you to take care of your self-storage unit by keeping it pest-free.
- Choose hard plastic storage containers, or other containers with a tight seal to preserve your belongings. Try not to use cardboard to store your items, because rodents may be able to chew through them and get to your stuff.
- DO NOT store food items in your self-storage unit, because these have the tendency to attracts insects and other pests to the unit. Ensure that all storage containers which once held food, have been carefully cleaned.
- Use plastic to wrap your upholstered furniture and various other soft items that can’t be stored in boxes. That way, you can protect them from moths and if rodents get into your unit, your items won’t get damaged by their claws or feces.
- Ensure that before you store your items, there aren’t any pests already inside them, hiding. You might be surprised how many of these little critters are playing hide-and-seek inside your items, just waiting to be placed in self-storage heaven.
- Place rat poison, mouse traps, fly tape, moth balls and whatever else there is available to kill or ward off pests from your self-storage unit.
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.