You probably don’t need half of the things that you’re holding onto in your storage room. Maybe it’s just full of stuff that you don’t need? Time to clean it out!
Create a list of things to get rid of. It should include the following:
• Vintage Clothing: You don’t wear it, so why do you keep it? Maybe they had once belonged to an old relative of yours and you feel such guilt throwing it away. We understand, but a solution can be to give them away or donate to a worthy recipient.
• Old Toys: You have a 12-year-old and an 18-year-old and you’re keeping their building blocks, stuffed animals and their animated books in storage. Why? Dust them off, wipe/wash them up and try to donate them to kids who would really need them (you can keep just a few of them for keepsake).
• Furniture: If it’s broken, fix it or throw it away. Don’t keep it. If you don’t like it, sell it! Furniture takes up too much space to keep in storage for no reason.
• Collections: We’re not telling you to throw these out. They may be valuable! Instead of having them lying around, get them estimated and auctioned or listed on a site like eBay.
• Old Gadgets: That old doohickey’s not going to do any good just sitting there and gathering dust. Do things like convert reel-to-reel and cassette tapes to DVDs and CDs that can be used, then recycle that old equipment.
• Family Memorabilia: This is probably the hardest category to deal with. You don’t really want to throw away old stuff that brings back such tender memories – and maybe you don’t have to. When things are in a digital form they take up much less physical space or none at all, we should say. For instance; do things like take digital photos of all the photos in an album.
We know these sound like they aren’t the most pleasant things to do, but they really will help you manage your space. If you need more help concerning self-storage your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, don’t fret! Give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage. We are the number one source for storage and we’re conveniently located right in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau.