No matter how tough it may look or feel, wood can be a very delicate material. It can burn, it can get moldy, it can get scratched/chipped, it can get broken and it can get termite-infested. Yes, that’s a lot.
That’s why when you’re storing wooden furniture away, you need to ensure that you handle it well and store it away properly so that you don’t end up with the possible problems stated above. Check out some of the things you can do to help keep your furniture in the best condition possible.
• Treat the wooden furniture before you store it, so that it doesn’t dry out and get cracked. You can treat it by polishing it, so that it gets the sufficient moisture it needs.
• Pay attention to climate control. Drastic changes in temperature can cause the wood to expand and contract, possibly making the piece weaker.
• Get a humidifier to control the climate of your storage area if it’s in your home, especially if it’s in the attic or the basement.
• Disassemble it if you can so that you can store the smaller parts away and save space for further use of your storage. You can protect each piece better when they can be stored away in drawers or boxes.
• Ensure that you have enough space to store your furniture, so that they do not bounce against each other or so you don’t have to stack them on top of each other and risk them getting scratched, cracked or broken.
• Always cover your furniture so that it doesn’t get scratched or damaged by other things. Try using cloth to cover it instead of plastic, so that it won’t begin to create condensation and swell.
• Make sure that you keep it elevated so that in the event that your storage are gets flooded, your wooden furniture doesn’t get damaged by the water.
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.