Tips on Filling a Storage Unit Correctly
So you’ve decided to take advantage of a storage unit to reduce clutter in your home or to move your furniture into storage during a home staging or renovation but how do you maximize your storage space while preventing your items from getting piled on or damaged? It’s easy if you follow a packing scheme and take advantage of storage shelving. Here are some tips to help you pack your storage unit appropriately to ensure that you have easy access to all of your belongings and also to ensure they are protected during their stay.
- Create an aisle so that you can access all of your storage space within your unit (not just the front)
- If you are storing your goods in boxes, try to use boxes that are similar in size and shape so that you can stack your boxes neatly. We also sell moving boxes and packaging supplies to help you store your items and use the least amount of space in your storage unit
- Make sure you label your boxes so that you can easily find particular items you may be looking for at a later date.
- When possible, pack your electronics in the original packaging they came in because manufacturers usually pack things very efficiently to maximize floor space on retail shelves. Also this will save you money on additional packaging supplies.
- Protect your furnishings with storage blankets and furniture covers. Also, whenever possible, disassemble your furniture to fit your furniture into smaller, tighter areas. This will save you a lot of space and can significantly impact the size of storage unit you need for your belongings.
- Stack your chairs when possible. This may sound like common-sense although it is actually quite common to see units with chairs that are not stacked when they could be and this can save you quite a bit of square footage.
- Make sure you package your fragile items such as glassware in separate boxes and clearly label them as fragile so that you do not accidentally damage any of your items when searching for other items in your unit. It is also important to make sure that these items are stored in your most sturdy and durable packaging.
These are some tips on maximizing your Ottawa storage space and they can save you money on your storage to make it more affordable for you to de-clutter your home. Furthermore, these tips will ensure that your items are stored securely and are protected for the duration of their stay at Just Right Self Storage.
Don’t forget to refer your friends and colleagues to Just Right Self Storage so that you can take advantage of our referral program!