Mold and mildew can ruin the items in your self-storage unit. You should always try to make the best of the things climate control options in your self -storage facility. We know you can’t get rid of each and every mold spore that’s in the environment, but you sure can try. The aim is to reduce the amount of moisture in the air so that you can stop the mold and mildew from spreading.
You have to plan and prepare your items and environment so that they don’t get damaged by the effects of the moisture in the air. A climate-controlled environment cannot completely prevent the mold and mildew from forming. That’s why we’re going to show you how you can protect your self-storage unit from mold and mildew.
• You need to be knowledgeable and cautious about the items that are most susceptible to damages from mold and mildew. Some of these items include things like clothing, leather, paper products, cardboard, wood, mattresses, soft plastics, upholstered furniture and more.
• You have to ensure that you clean and maintain those items before you place them in the self-storage unit. Treat them with things like disinfecting cleaning products. Baking soda and non-abrasive cleaning products can work.
• Don’t put items in plastics when you want to protect them while storing them away. Doing this can actually trap water vapors inside the plastic and encourage mold and mildew growth.
• Buy and use products that you can put in your unit to draw moisture and mold from the atmosphere. Products like baking soda work to do just that.
• Talk to your self-storage unit provider for any suggestions they may have that can help you with stopping mold and mildew from growing.
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.