Boy, oh boy, our freezers look like a mess. Sometimes we wonder if it’s really food stuff stored in there because it looks like the freezer had just experienced an ice age Armageddon, or something. That doesn’t make searching for that rock hard parcel of chicken cutlets any easier. Depressing, really depressing.
Don’t sit there and cry about it! Follow these 7 steps to help you organize your side-by-side freezer!
1. Don’t put the important stuff on the door. You probably didn’t know it, but it’s the warmest part of the freezer. The temperature on the door fluctuates and can cause food to go bad in terms of texture. You can store things like icepacks or other items whose textures won’t go bad from the fluctuating temperatures.
2. Store your little stuff in plastic boxes and baskets. This way, they won’t get all jumbled up and disorganized.
3. Put alike things together. This will lessen the time you have to spend searching for an item, if you know it’s with an item of similar nature.
4. If you like smoothies, make a drawer for them. Put all your smoothie ingredients in one area so that you can easily find them and know what ingredients need renewal or removal.
5. Designate a shelf to put all the ingredients that you need to make lunches or dinners for the week. It’ll help you remember stuff like what ingredients need to thaw out.
6. Stock up! Make a list of the freezer’s contents, so you’ll know what you need to stock up on, etc.
7. Don’t leave the items in your freezer there too long. Try to use the stuff that’s in there within a month or two, because unstable temperatures in the freezer (caused by constant opening and closing of the freezer doors) can cause items to lose their freshness and alter their texture a bit.
We hope these pointers were helpful! Your freezer will look more clean, refreshed and spacious. If you need storage for other items within your home, you can even think about putting all your other extra stuff in a mini storage unit and away from the comfort of your home. We’ve got what you are looking for concerning self-storage in Ottawa. We’re the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau. Give us a call so we can discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage. We’re conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau.