Your basement is an excellent part of your home to store a lot of your belongings. Unfortunately, it may tend to get a bit disorganized, because it may not be one of the rooms you think about keeping extremely neat and clean, since no one else really sees it. We’ll show you a number of things that you should do in order to organize your home’s basement storage.
- First of all, you need to sort out the clutter in your basement. Organize your basement into groups of things you want to throw out, donate or sell.
- Make sure to clean out the appliances such as refrigerators, washers and freezers, then dry them thoroughly. Open your washer and dryer doors just a bit, so that air can circulate and prevent mildew in them.
- Every few months, make sure that you air out the items so that you can prevent a musty smell from developing in the basement.
- Use a dehumidifier regularly in the basement, to stop moisture from damaging your valuables.
- Use plastic or wire shelving units, instead of wooden shelves, to avoid moisture in the floor from rising into the air and damaging your belongings and your shelf.
- Store items in clear plastic containers so that you can identify the contents in there quite easily. Place the heavier items on the bottom and lighter on the top.
- Use unbleached drop clothes or blankets to cover the pieces of furniture to help prevent moisture damage.
- If you’re storing tools or steel items in your basement, apply a little amount of machine oil on them to protect them and hang them on hooks or on shelves.
- Make use of the various unused areas in the basement, (like underneath the staircase) to store your items that are less often used.
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.