You can go to your garage or your self-storage unit and toss your ski gear in, you can toss your winter stuff in, you can toss just about anything it and it doesn’t even matter. In your kitchen cupboard, you can toss in your candles, your shiny new silverware and even your fancy new pots and pans, but when it comes to proper storage, don’t even THINK about tossing (or carelessly placing) your valuables in just any old spot. You need to protect them now, before you regret that you didn’t, later.
We can help you ensure that you don’t damage any of your valuables by showing you what materials you can use to store them properly. Here they are:
• Proper Boxes: In the case of boxes (or containers), you need to get a cozy size for the valuable item you want to store. If you have some very small china dishes, if you put them in a large box, with a lot of other items, they can shatter your china. If you want to store a bigger item, like a television, get a box that is just a little bigger than it. An even better idea is to re-package the items in their original boxes; they’d be the perfect sizes.
• Protective Padding: The emptier the box, the more stuff will move around inside and the more likely it is that they will get some form of damage. Get fillers like bubble wrap, Styrofoam and Polystyrene to cushion the items you’re packing away.
• Cardboard Dividers: Even when your valuables are protected from the outer elements, they may still be problematic to themselves inside the boxes. For instance, if you have champagne glasses packed in one box, you need to make sure they’re separated with cardboard dividers. If not, they can crash into each other n get chipped or cracked.
• Newsprint or Tissue: For extra padding, you can get one of the two items. Note that we said newsprint, not newspaper, because newspaper may have the tendency to leave stains on your items, because of the ink.
• Markers: You need to remember to label your boxes, so that when you or the people dealing with them see “fragile” or “breakable” or anything else of that nature, you are aware of their valuable nature.
Take it from us, these tips will really help. We’ve got what you are looking for concerning self-storage in Ottawa. We’re the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau. Give us a call so we can discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage. We’re conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau.